Dajana Completes Her Internship Experience With CFS

DajanaJakovinaName: Dajana

Year: Senior

Major: Economics

Minor: BIP

CFS Program: Field Studies in the Humanities

This is my second quarter working with the same employer, but my first quarter doing CFS. I had no idea that taking this class alongside doing an internship would be such an eye opening experience.
I am interning at a private progressive school called Bennett Day School as a marketing and data analytics intern. It doesn’t sound like it at first, but my workplace is a very entrepreneurial environment, which I really enjoy. Because Bennett Day is a fairly new school, a lot of the work I do has to do with coming up with and implementing new projects and strategies. I have been learning a lot about social media and email analytics, CRM, public relations and event management, and direct marketing. My favorite part about the internship is that I get to synthesize and analyze the data from different sources and derive useful insights to help drive the new marketing strategies. Additionally, I love having the opportunity to work directly with the CEO on a daily basis because it makes it easier for me to see how the work I am doing is directly solving the problems and contributing to the success of the school.
Taking the CFS class has really put work into perspective. I never thought about the underlying reasons and implications of why we have different office structures and dress codes at different workplaces. How have different industries evolved throughout the history, and where does the obsession with ‘the office’ on TV come from? The CFS classroom experience is definitely like no other at Northwestern. The best part about it is that you get to bring your own experiences and backgrounds to the classroom, and do presentations and final projects on topics that tie those experiences with the learning done in the classroom. I would recommend anyone to do it before they graduate.