A Life-Changing Opportunity

Kelsey Dennis_PictureName: Kelsey

Year: Junior

Major: Psychology, Legal Studies

CFS Program: Legal Field Studies

My internship at the Heartland Alliance Immigrant and Refugee Resettlement and Placement project has been, however stereotypical this sounds, truly life-changing. From my first day, both the broad expertise of my supervisors and the mission of the organization were incredibly clear. My supervisors walked through the struggles of refugee and immigrant legislation and how my hands-on experience would lend itself well to my passion for advocacy law. They offered their services as mentors without having spent more than an hour with me. The open floor plan at the office accurately reflects the welcoming work environment at the office. Everyone is constantly encouraged to ask cross-departmental questions in order to assure the best experience for the refugees coming into Chicago. The emphasis on using the term ‘participants’ with regards to the refugees perfectly illustrates how every member of the office regards the people we work with. The refugees are our partners at Heartland Alliance; they are not our clients. They are working with us, utilizing our resources in order to establish a happy, healthy and successful life in Chicago. I am incredibly lucky to be able to come to work in this environment daily.
Starting the minute I walked into the office on my first day, I was afforded large amounts of both autonomy and trust. Due to their incredibly positive experiences with CFS interns in the past, my supervisors knew that I could handle the substantial assignments from the beginning. I spend a large majority of my days interacting one-on-one with refugees from all around the world. I help make sure they know how to navigate the bureaucratic immigration legislation and I make sure they are mentally and physically healthy during their difficult time of transition to American life. Through these interactions I have heard some life-altering stories and I have been able to make powerful connections with families, despite a language barrier. Not only has this position given me a greater appreciation for how fortunate I have been in life, but it has given me important work-place skills that will translate into any position I take in the future. I am asked on a daily basis to think on my analytically and on my feet, to work in teams and navigate difficult situations that may not have a happy outcome. At the Heartland Alliance they challenge me to be my best in order to provide the best services to these people that deserve a fresh, happy start in America. The case workers and employees at my office have the largest case load I have ever seen, yet I have never once heard them complain. Everyone is passionate about what they do and we all leave the office on a daily basis exhausted, yet confident in the fact that we very tangibly assisted in someone’s resettlement process.
From the beginning of my career at Northwestern I have known that I am very passionate about advocating for disadvantaged groups through the avenue of law. The intersection between my internship and the CFS class provides a perfect coupling through which I am able to see how my passions in the classroom can translate to law school and potential career opportunities. My professor tailors our class on a daily basis to the passions and questions we express. Our field trips are both an excellent way for us to explore different avenues within the law, but also to expand our professional networks. We are able to ask honest, difficult questions about the field we all wish to pursue. The small class atmosphere allows for a comfortable environment in which we are able to share our critical thoughts about both the class material and our internship experiences. Not only am I able to learn from my individual CFS internship, but my classmates’ experiences become resources for me as well.
CFS is an absolutely incredible opportunity where Northwestern students are able to connect their passions from the classroom and make a tangible difference at incredible internships. I would hands-down recommend this experience to any and all Northwestern students.