Kim Pursues Her Interests

Kim_Keating_MarketingName: Kim

Year: Sophomore

Major(s): Learning and Organizational Change, Economics

CFS Concentration: Field Studies in Humanities

When I first started my search for fall opportunities, I did not have any idea what kind of experience I wanted- volunteering, internship, or job. All I knew was that I wanted to work with students and in education. I stumbled upon 826CHI and its internship program after a host of Google searches. Likewise, I also stumbled into CFS. After accepting my internship offer at 826, I tried to fit a full course load around my internship and work schedule. When this system was not working out, I decided exploring options to make my schedule more manageable. I ended up applying to CFS a week before classes started and ended making a great decision that added an extra element of learning to my internship experience.

As a sophomore, I am still in the process of exploring different majors and career options to pursue at Northwestern, so I have greatly benefited from the structure of CFS. At my internship, I have been able to get hands-on experience with students, as well as gain insight into the nonprofit sector. In the classroom, I have been able to explore what work means to me, why we work, and the varying definitions of workplaces and cultures across different industries. The intersection of these two experiences has helped me think about what I want to get out of my future career and my motivations behind pursuing certain academic and professional interests. With this insight, I am excited to return to taking classes next quarter and to continue to shape my studies around my CFS experience.