Samantha Shares How CFS Helped Her Learn About Her Field

on

Samantha Bulmash PhotoName: Samantha

Year: Senior

Major/Minor: Psychology/Music Cognition

CFS Concentration: Field Studies in Social Justice

My entire experience with Chicago Field Studies has exceeded my expectations. From the first time I met my advisor, I knew that she truly cared about me and my experience. She listened to my interests and quickly suggested an extensive list of organizations to look into. Then, after I was offered a position, she was very open to giving me advice and letting me talk through my feelings before I decided to accept the internship. She has been extremely responsive and helpful, both for finding a summer internship and in giving me a starting place for my future career.

While working at my internship, I have gained insight into what goes on at non-profit organizations. I have been able to spend time working with other passionate individuals who are trying to create a positive environment for the clients they serve. My experience has helped me to clarify the type of career I am looking for and to make connections with workers in who can provide knowledge about the non-profit field and direct me to appropriate resources. While the summer has been challenging at times, I have learned a great deal both about myself and my field, and this learning has occurred both through my internship and the associated CFS class.

I was very nervous walking into my first day of class, worried that a class on Social Justice would quickly turn into an impassioned but one-sided condemnation of all that is wrong with today’s society. Instead, I found my small class open to intelligent conversations about many different subjects. My professor has grounded everything in theory and ensured that we explore all perspectives of our complicated topics. It has been great to explore theories of justice while working for a human services organization. Having a class full of interns, each with our own working experience has provided an excellent lens for the exploration of social justice, and this class has allowed my summer to revolve around more than just my one internship.