Liliana On Stepping Out of Her Comfort Zone With Her Internship

Liliana BonillaName: Liliana

Year: Senior

Major: Psychology

CFS Concentration: Field Studies in the Modern Workplace

My experience with CFS has been unexpected to say the least- and I mean that in a positive light. Although it has been challenging finding a balance between work and school life (especially being hyper involved in student groups) it’s nice to at least have my internship limited to the realms of 9am-5pm.

When I first accepted my offer at Dignitas, my main concern was my financial incompetency. I had no background on private wealth management, didn’t know what a family office or business advisory even was, and turned my head from the conversations on money and finances. Needless to say this lack of initial knowledge has proved challenging in a beneficial way! By stretching my ability to work in a foreign environment, I have challenged myself while applying and developing my skill set. From projects on email marketing to SEO analyses, my work has certainly varied. Looking back on all that I’ve accomplished so far is very rewarding! It’s been great to really take ownership of my contributions and even offer guidance in things that may seem out of my reach, such as my boss’ upcoming presentation at our Family Business Summit.

I have enjoyed the presence of my coworkers and have made bonds within the office that will certainly help me in my future endeavors. Most importantly I have gotten a taste of the real working life and realized I was tougher than the cold Chicago winters!