Ryota Shares His Experience in Public Health at Sg2

Ryota (2)Name: Ryota

Year: Senior

Major: Biological Sciences

CFS Concentration: Field Studies in Public Health

I am currently interning at Sg2, a healthcare intelligence, analytics and consulting firm. The firm prides itself on their robust forecast engine that enables the firm to make insightful projections of future trends in healthcare, rather than future projections based solely on population-based data. My role as a research intern is to assist the Intelligence team’s Cardiovascular and Orthopedics service lines identify, research, and select potential topics for this year’s Executive Summit. The Executive Summit is Sg2’s flagship multi-day conference held in locations throughout the country. The service-line specific topics at these conferences are often the key topics emphasized by the firm for the rest of the year. These topics range from effects of policy, technology, as well as case studies of successful and/or innovative healthcare providers. As a result of my role, this internship has been a great opportunity to gain exposure to the important trends in healthcare and to develop an analytical mindset and approach.

The work culture at Sg2 is very welcoming and everyone has been very willing to help with any questions that I may have. Managers of other teams have actively introduced me to their teams during company Happy Hours, and lunches. Also, the numerous Northwestern (and in some cases CFS) alumni have been very supportive, and open to sharing their career arcs. My supervisors have also been great mentors as they consistently encourage me to make the most of this opportunity, and have included me in client calls, non-required training workshops and higher-level meetings. I honestly could not have asked for a better work environment.

Although it has only been a month, I am certain that I made the right choice to participate in CFS and intern at SG2. I also could not have had this experience without CFS, and specifically I am thankful for Karen Allen notifying me about the opportunity and resume drop. I highly recommend anyone with room in their academic course load to consider participating in CFS. (and Sg2, if you are interested in healthcare!)