Kayla Shares Her Internship Experience at 826CHI

-1Name: Kayla

Year: Senior

Major: History

Minor: Gender Studies

CFS Program: Field Studies in the Humanities

I remember discovering 826CHI, a creative writing and tutoring center in Wicker Park, while scouring the web for internship opportunities this past June and thinking to myself, “That is my dream job.” Now, four months later, I’m interning there through Chicago Field Studies in the Humanities.

What drew me to 826CHI was a magical combination: their mission to provide programs to support creative writing in students, the fact that student work is regularly published, their quirky personality, and the active involvement that interns take every day in the organization. Thanks to the help of the CFS advisers, I navigated the application process successfully and now I’m in the midst of a programming internship at 826CHI.

So far my responsibilities have ranged from researching issues relating to the Chicago Public Schools system, tutoring fourth and fifth graders in essay writing, creating informational handouts for volunteers, and helping out at a “Tale-gate” themed fundraiser. I really appreciate the variety because not only is it providing me with a wide spectrum of experience, but it also means that every day is new and exciting.

I also love how everyone at 826CHI is so passionate about the community and the students. Their investment and enthusiasm for their jobs–and what their jobs accomplish–is constantly apparent. I’m so glad that I got this opportunity to work at a place that doesn’t feel like going to “work.” The new 826CHI space is bright, open, colorful, and not at all like a conventional office environment. Everyone is friendly and approachable, and they all have their favorite pieces of student creative writing that they love to share. I’m still at the beginning of my internship here, but I can’t wait for what lies ahead.

Being able to work a part-time internship while earning credit and still taking other courses is such a good fit for my senior year. I can still be a Northwestern student while exploring what I might like to do after graduation. I definitely recommend CFS to anyone interested in seeking experiences beyond campus. And where else could I earn college credit while interning at a place that has a secret agent supply store?