Featured Alum: Levi Mele

-1Name: Levi Mele
CFS Concentration & Year: Spring 2013
Internship: Marshall Associates
Major /Minor: Social Policy
Graduation Year: 2013
Current Position: District Manager, ALDI

Describe your CFS internship and how it helped you either in interviews, job opportunities or graduate school applications?

My CFS internship at Marshall Associates was an excellent opportunity to grow and develop professionally. Throughout my time there, and with help of CFS class assignments, I was able to further develop my interview skills. I received practice and coaching on how I can better present my self during an interview, and I also had the opportunity to conduct interviews.

Did you see it as a future career when you took the internship?
I never thought I would pursue a career in retail. In fact, I never applied at Marshall but was referred to Marshall by the CFS staff. Now that I am working in a retail environment I am immensely grateful for my internship. I learned a lot about the field I would eventually enter with my new career.

Please briefly explain what you are doing now?
Currently I am a District Manager for Aldi, the German grocery chain. I went to the Northwestern Career Fair, and never considered Aldi but submitted my resume anyways. Now, I have currently finished a nearly yearlong training process to be a District Manager. That is what attracted me to Aldi; I had to begin at the bottom and work my way to the top. I started as a cashier and over the course of 6 months I was a store assistant manager and then a store manager. The last few months I shadowed a few different District Managers and was recently given my own district of four stores. I am ultimately responsible for the success of my stores.

Is there a link between your CFS experience and what you are doing now?
Yes and no. Although Marshall Associates is involved in the retail market my responsibilities were vastly different. At Marshall I assisted with inside sales support and internet sales. We focused on getting the product from overseas factories to American retailers and consumers, like Aldi. Now my responsibilities are entrepreneurial in nature. I assist my stores in staffing, truck schedules and orders, inventory control, product displays, and every aspect of store operations to increase sales and control expenses.

What advice do you have for students at NU considering the program?
I had the opportunity to complete both a SESP Practicum and CFS internship. I feel I learned ultimately more during these two quarters to prepare me for life after school, than any of my other courses at Northwestern. Don’t get me wrong I learned much from each course I completed at Northwestern; however, CFS gives real life experience in career search and exploration that cannot happen in a classroom setting, it must be gained from experience. If you are on the fence about enrolling in the program just do it. I know from Aldi’s perspective rather than seeing you earn a double major, a minor, and a certificate, we would like to see a practical internship experience on your resume, and I am sure many other employers would agree.

How can CFS students make the most of their experience?
In my opinion, one of the most beneficial aspects of the CFS program is the network you can build. First off, you are out looking for internships and making contacts. Once a site is determined you have a whole network of co-workers who also have connections that could assist you. Weekly you meet with your peers in the program and you learn about their experiences, and can compare them to your own. If interested you could even seek network connections from your peers in the program. Utilize your time in the program to expand your professional network.