Micaela Shares Her CFS Experience at a Green Tech Startup

MicaelaStumpBadgePhotoName: Micaela
Junior
Major: Environmental Science
CFS Concentration: Field Studies in the Modern Workplace

I had the opportunity to work at Green Per Square Foot (GreenPSF) for CFS this past spring and it has been an amazing experience so far, so much so that I will be extending my internship into the summer and fall. However, when I first began my internship I was unaware of what I would be getting myself into at this green tech startup.

When interviewing for GreenPSF I was so overwhelmed by the startup atmosphere that it was not until my first day of work that I figured out what I would be doing. I knew the company was involved in energy efficiency for commercial real estate, that Google Maps identified them as an environmental consulting firm, and that it was in the heart of downtown Chicago in the historic AMA plaza (formerly IBM building). These factors lead me to choose it as my internship location, which has worked out wonderfully.
On the first day of work, the CEO gave me a run through of what their company is all about- they are looking to create an online database that allows commercial real estate developers to post their building specifications onto our website and contractors/engineers/consultants can be contacted to bid on completing energy efficient upgrades. In this way, we are promoting sustainable development in a market that benefits the consumer, contractor, and environment. I was immediately given large autonomy on researching and gathering data to create this database of property users and contractors that will become the basis of the company once the site is launched. Being an intern at a company that aligns with your major and your interests, gives you responsibility that puts you on equal standing with the fulltime employees, and has an amazing view overlooking the river is just one way that the CFS program has benefitted my career path. I would truly recommend anyone to do the CFS program if at all possible!