Nadia on Week 2 of her Spring 2014 Internship

on

Name: NadiaNadia Abdulhafiz
Senior
Major: Psychology and Science in Human Culture
CFS Program: Field Studies in Public Health

I have had such a blast during these first two weeks of my internship. I always figured being in charge of a non-profit organization would be difficult considering general goals of wanting to bring awareness to populations on certain issues, but also on top of that getting the funds for it. I am thankful to be interning for a non-profit that is pretty well off due to recently receiving a large donation. It is important to consider the changes that come when a non-profit has been granted a large sum of money. I have seen the after effects of changing a budget, changing priorities, and discussing where money can be better allotted.

I have also had the opportunity to sit in on Board meetings, where I have met a lot of very caring and dedicated members that put a lot of work into this organization. The most impactful conference calls I have been included on are the ones where the executive director has a phone call with parents wanting assistance in obtaining new technological devices that help intervene with the progression of their child’s illness. These devices don’t prevent the illness, but rather prevents the risk of more severe side effects. These conversations typically are between the Executive Director and parents who are struggling financially. These devices are quite expensive and on top of the medical bills, it can be impossible to afford. I have heard parents break down on the phone because they are extremely grateful for the organization providing the funds in order to purchase these devices. It has been life changing and I have truly enjoyed being able to see how helpful and important this organization is. It has only been two weeks and I am excited to see what more I will be able to witness come the next 8 weeks. I am so grateful to have this opportunity to intern for this organization.