Rachel on Week 3 of her Spring 2014 Internship

on

Name: Rachel
SeniorRachelMarchant
Major: Theater
Minor: Integrated Marketing Communications
CFS Concentration: Field Studies in the Humanities

Three weeks ago I began my spring CFS internship at LiquidThread, a branded content agency focusing on digital and social media. Four days a week I take the Purple Line Express into the hustle and bustle of the Chicago Loop. LiquidThread, a subsidiary of Starcom Mediavest, sits on the 32nd floor of the Leo Burnett Building. When it comes to the advertising industry in Chicago, this building holds the agencies that are the best of the best.

Every day at LiquidThread has felt like a dream. As a media agency, LiquidThread works with fairly large clients to create content—online, in print, and on television—that tells stories about its brand. I am a creative- and design-focused intern, meaning that I work with many of the visual and artistic elements of specific projects. Whether it means I create a deck of presentation slides for a high-end client or I brainstorm ideas for new project pitches, everything I do at LiquidThread feels like it has a purpose. Sure, sometimes I get coffee for employees, but most of the time I am doing important, necessary work. And every day, I feel appreciated—not just as an intern but also as a real employee.

As I continue my time at LiquidThread, telling the stories of brands all over the world, I hope to also begin telling my own story. By working collaboratively with such intelligent and open-minded people and completing projects that are both fulfilling and inspiring, I hope to begin the narrative of my professional future. My experience with Chicago Field Studies and LiquidThread is Chapter 1, and I can’t wait to read what happens next.