March Featured Alum: Adam Pegram

on

Name: Adam PegramAPegramPictureweb
CFS Concentration & Year: Business Fields Studies, 2012
Internship: Shore Capital Partners
Major /Minor: B.A., Economics
Graduation Year: 2012
Current Position:Shore Capital Partners, Analyst 

What was your internship with CFS?
I interned at Shore Capital Partners during Winter Quarter of my senior year.  It was full time, and I continued to work part-time (10-15 hrs/wk) during Spring Quarter.  After that I was asked back as a full time analyst after graduation.

What were your duties as an intern?
I worked on creating a road map, which is a foundational research document that we consult when deciding whether to invest in a new segment in healthcare.  As an intern, I researched and presented this project.  I was able to learn more about a specific industry, and observe the market that surrounds that industry.

Did you see it as a future career when you took the internship?
The company was a six-person firm, so I did not go into the internship with the expectation of getting hired.  I put in hard work, and when they offered me a job, I happily took it.

How are your duties different now as an employee rather than an intern?
As a full time employee, I have more freedom to work on my own projects and to organize my schedule long-term. I mostly work on more senior projects, and I am able to put more depth into my work.  As an intern, I was focused on adhoc projects that contributed to the bigger picture.  But now I am able to take those projects and see how they relate to each other.

Is there a link between your CFS experience and what you are doing now?
From CFS I learned to observe the relationship dynamics between the individuals in the office and to discern how to best communicate with each person.  Each employee serves a different role in the office, and it is ineffective to talk to your managing director the same way you would to an analyst.  For example to an analyst, I might ask more in depth questions, where as to the managing director, I might ask more short and quick questions because he would have less time to talk to an intern.

What advice do you have for students at NU considering the program?
Do it. CFS is a valuable tool in order to break into the industry that you want to be in.  At NU, I found the process sometimes decentralized; there are several services, and it is difficult to figure out which one to utilize at the right time.  Karen and Kisa at CFS do a great job of helping you individually and give you the tools to develop meaningful relationships with your employers.

How can CFS students make the most of their experience?
As an intern, be aggressive about taking on new projects.  Ask for more work, and do your assigned work well and quickly.  Having that attitude establishes that you know what you are doing and produces results on greater levels.