Lauren on Week 8 of her Winter 2014 Internship

Name: LaurenLauren Tindal
Senior
Major: Psychology
Minors: Design, Entrepreneurship
CFS Program: Field Studies in Humanities

I am currently interning at Syndio Social Inc, a Chicago-based startup that provides clients with social network analysis in order to help them adopt changes, target key influencers, and understand relationships within their organization. Syndio is a small team, as many startups are, but is growing rapidly: the company is continuously changing its software offering and is adopting key clients at a fast pace.

My CFS experience has been an intriguing juxtaposition between the classroom and ‘the real world’. During the day, I am analyzing client network data, discussing software implementation, and crafting UX/UI (user experience and user interface) design to improve Syndio’s client recommendations. Yet, in my Field Studies Humanities class, I am discussing the spirit of Chicago, the role of libraries in communities, and whether or not the humanities still holds a place in modern education.

At first glance, I expected that my class would be mostly theoretical; that it would give me some good ideas and something to think about, but not too much more. I assumed that my job would offer the ‘applied’ experience of putting ideas into practice. Yet, surprisingly, the experiences have more than complimented each other. My class offers me a lens to view my experience working in the city of Chicago, and how my company, a member of a small, but growing pool of tech startups, fits into that. Discussions and readings from class force me to think about my surroundings more critically: el rides have become more reflective, watching the neighborhoods pass by, and the attitude of the company, predicated on its unique place in Chicago industry, is simultaneously more distinctive and relatable.

As an intern, I typically peek inside the work world, immersing myself completely, while still lacking the perspective to judge the experience fully. I haven’t worked at many places; in fact, I’ve only ever worked at another tech startup. In such, my understanding of work experience is not so robust. The CFS experience of class as well as an internship, has allowed me to examine my day to day work life with a more thoughtful perspective, applying both my professional skills and my continued exploration of the human experience.