Daniel on Week 9 of his Fall 2013 Internship

Name: Jianan (Daniel)
Junior
Major: Economics
CFS Program: Field Studies in the Modern Workplace

Chicago Field Studies has definitely been a tremendous experience – one that I would consider to be one of the highlights of my experiences at Northwestern. Going into the internship, I had no idea what to expect because the firm I’m interning at and my role there was unlike anything that I had experienced before. However, because the employees there were so friendly and helpful, it didn’t take long before I adjusted and became acclimated with the environment. Thereafter, I’ve learned a tremendous amount about the markets, investment strategies and have even met and had one-on-one lunches with some senior members of the team. My internship experience has certainly been unique and I’ve learned valuable skills that aren’t taught in the classroom.

With regards to the classroom experience, I am glad that I chose to participate in the Modern Workplace Field Studies program. As someone who is trying to learn as much as possible about as many different industries as possible, I felt that the Modern Workplace classroom gave me just what I wanted – exposure to as many different types of people working in many different types of roles and industries. Many of my classmates do not have internships in financial services, and I’m glad that I got exposure to their different industries and points of view. CFS has altogether combined a rewarding internship with an enriching classroom experience and I’m happy to say that this has easily been one of my most rewarding quarters at Northwestern.