John on Week Four of his Fall 2013 Internship

Name: Ziang (John)
Junior
Major: Industrial Engineering
Minor: Computer Science
CFS Program: Field Studies in the Modern Workplace

Chicago Field Studies has been amazing to me so far. The internship itself took some getting used to, especially the hours – but once I adjusted to that everything became very smooth. The employees treat me very well and give me important projects to work on, as well as train me to the best of their ability. At the end of each work day, I have “class”, where I learn about concepts directly related to my job, mainly about options and how market trends affect our portfolio.

Class has been great as well, and I love the “Modern Workplace” section of Field Studies. My class covers a wide range of fields, including non-profit, education, HR, tech, finance, and marketing. This gives me exposure to a number of different fields, not only my own. Professor Hathaway has done a great job of engaging with the students and keeping us interested in the content of the course throughout the three hour class.

Balancing work and school has definitely been difficult, but has already been quite rewarding halfway through the quarter. I look forward to completing my internship and learning more about trading during my second half.