Christina on Week Three of her Fall 2013 Internship

Name: Christina
Senior
Major: Economics & Political Science
CFS Program: Business Field Studies

By far, Chicago Field Studies’ greatest asset is its emphasis on experiential learning. Through my academic courses at Northwestern, I have learned about a variety of models, theories, and frameworks used to examine public policy, business initiatives, and social injustice issues. However, until my civic engagement course, I have never had a class that fully combined academic study with real-world applications.

As an intern at an education search firm, I am able to witness firsthand the role politics and issues pertaining to economic scarcity play in attracting and maintaining administrative talent in school districts across the nation. Such practical knowledge will be useful to me later on, especially if I decide to go into education policy.
In addition to my internship, my in-class experience provides insight on a number of life topics. In class, my peers and I question what it means to be civically engaged; how one makes ethical career decisions; and where the balance between intention and impact exists. We have studied a compilation of great works, including parts of Alexis de Tocqueville’s Democracy in America and Michael Porter et al.’s “Creating Shared Value.” Yet, the most rewarding aspect of the CFS class is the diverse perspectives and experiences my peers bring to discussion week after week. They consistently challenge, empower, and enlighten me. Their passion for community engagement and social change is contagious, and I could not be more thankful to spend my Tuesday evenings with a group of socially-minded intellectuals like them.