Pregnant and Parenting Teens (PPT)

The PPT program provides oversight and service coordination to pregnant and parenting youth in care and their children statewide by linking youth and their children to an array of services, such as case management, education and employment support, parenting and clinical support, comprehensive discharge planning, risk reduction services, advocacy, health care, early learning, home visiting, day care coordination for their children and other specialty services.

PPT CANS Forms – Click to Download

PPT CANS Form

PPT Scoring Guides

F.A.Q.

How should I submit my CANS?

Download the PDF CANS forms available above. Once downloaded, fill this form out and save it securely to your network. Completed forms are then submitted via Ironbox, a secure file sharing website. If you are a PPT CANS assessor and still need access to Ironbox, please contact us HERE.

Do I need to be certified in the CANS?

It is required to be certified on CANS prior to use. Click HERE for access to CANS certification on the IDCFS Virtual Training Center.

What version of the CANS do I complete?

CANS 2.0.  See the above forms to download.

Who should be scored on the CANS?

CANS 2.0 should be completed on the Pregnant and Parenting Teen receiving services. Both the “Child” and “Caregiver” section should be completed on the teen. The caregiver section should be checked “Self-as-caregiver” and scored in relation to their parenting of their child(ren).

How often should I complete the CANS?

CANS should be completed as part of the New Birth Assessment at the time of, or following the final meeting date with the teen. CANS should also be completed at the start and close of any additional services the youth receives (FDS, Educational or both). This would mean completing and submitting a CANS right at the start of these additional services and at the time the youth has stopped receiving services.

Do I need my supervisor’s approval before submitting my CANS?

Yes. The supervisor should check the approval box and include their initials and the date of their approval on the PDFs after reviewing the CANS.

Need a new manual or resource guide?