Who I am

Hello! My name is Aoi Saito, and I am a Ph.D. candidate at Northwestern University. As a cultural and social historian, I specialize in the history of modern Japan, with a particular focus on gender and sexuality. My academic training also extends to teaching courses and conducting research related to East Asia, Micronesia, and global exchanges and connections.

Currently, I have the honor of serving as a Quinn Fellow at the Nicholas D. Chabraja Center for Historical Studies. In this role, I organize workshops and facilitate academic communications and collaborations, striving to foster a vibrant intellectual community.

Prior to embarking on my doctoral studies, I worked as a Japanese language teacher, where I developed a passion for linguistics. I investigated the intersection of language learning, technology, and conversation analysis, all of which inform my current research. My dissertation focuses on how linguistic frameworks can enhance our understanding of historical narratives and societal dynamics.

Outside of my academic pursuits, I am an active individual with a deep appreciation for the performing arts. I practice classical Japanese dance and singing, and I enjoy watching kabuki theater in Japan. In the U.S., I often go hiking and visit museums to gain inspiration.

Thank you for visiting my website, and I invite you to explore my research further!