Emma Vander Ende

I am a third year graduate student in the Van Duyne group. Before coming to Northwestern University to pursue my PhD in Chemistry, I earned a B.S. in Chemistry and a B.S. in Biological Sciences from Northern Kentucky University in 2014. I also participated in a research experience for undergraduates at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) through the MIT Center for Materials Science and Engineering and the MIT Materials Processing Center in 2013 with Prof. Michael Strano. My research focus in the Van Duyne group is using localized surface plasmon resonance (LSPR) and surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS) to develop noninvasive bioprogrammable sensors for human performance biomarkers. Outside of lab, I am involved in Science Club, a science outreach and mentorship program through Northwestern University’s Science in Society initiative and the McCormick Boys & Girls Club of Chicago, and the Association for Women in Chemistry (AWC). In my free time, I enjoy hiking, live music, reading, and painting.

emmavanderende2014@u.northwestern.edu

• Professor Richard Van Duyne

Additional Information

Discoverer of Surface-enhanced Raman Spectroscopy (1977)
    Inventor of Nanosphere Lithography (1995) & Localized Surface Plasmon Resonance Spectroscopy (2000)

• Group Members

Professor Van Duyne has, in his career to date, advised a total of 87 graduate students and 47 postdoctoral fellows. Every year, Professor Van Duyne gives a talk to introduce new graduate students to our research. The 2017 seminar slides are available here.

• News

Professor Van Duyne was recently named a Vannevar Bush Faculty Fellow by the U.S. Department of Defense to conduct "high risk, high payoff" basic scientific research. Read more here