Rebecca Gieseking

As a joint postdoc in the Schatz and Ratner groups, I am studying photoinduced electron transfer (PIET) in plasmonic nanoparticle-molecule systems. Since charge-separated states are particularly challenging to model, I am evaluating and developing methodologies that accurately assess both the plasmonic states and the electron-transfer states. Using these methodologies, I am also working to gain a better chemical understanding of the orbitals and excited states involved in PIET and how chemical structure and environment, particularly the presence of solvent, affect the PIET rate.

I graduated from Furman University in Greenville, SC in 2009 with a B.S. in chemistry and studio art and in 2010 with an M.S. in chemistry. I obtained my Ph.D. from Georgia Tech in Atlanta, GA in 2015 in Jean-Luc Bredas’s research group, where I studied the nonlinear optical properties of polymethine-based materials using a variety of quantum mechanical and molecular dynamics approaches.

In my free time, I am an avid origami artist, combining my artistic skills with a research-like engineering process.

rebecca.gieseking@northwestern.edu