Matthew Kelley

I’m a joint student in the Schatz and Chen groups at Northwestern. I grew up in Alabama, where I attended the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa for my undergraduate studies as a double major in chemistry and applied mathematics. There I worked in the computational chemistry laboratory of Professor David Dixon.

Currently my work in the Chen and Schatz groups focuses on understanding and modeling transition metal complex photo-chemistry. I am interested in characterizing and ultimately designing new candidates for solar energy applications to replace the currently used, cost prohibitive materials such as ruthenium and platinum. To that end, I focus mainly on promising more abundant first row transition metal complexes, such as copper diimines, and model their excited state properties, mainly using time dependent density functional theory. I work closely with experimentalists who use x-ray transient absorption techniques to track the light driven dynamics revolving around the metal centers in these complexes, and I often visit Argonne National Laboratory’s Advanced Photon Source to observe experiments there.

I am a PC gaming enthusiast in my free time. I also enjoy reading historical fiction and nonfiction, and I love playing frisbee and golf but not frisbee golf.

MatthewKelley2017@u.northwestern.edu