Staff Spotlight: Ashlee Hardgrave

Hi everyone! I’m Ashlee Hardgrave, Northwestern’s new MSL Admissions Manager. My primary responsibility will be enrolling your future cohorts of MSL colleagues. I will be the first point of contact for prospective students, and coordinating the admissions process for both residential and online students. I just joined the team in the second week of September, so I’m looking forward to meeting each of you and learning about your MSL experience.

I came to the MSL after exploring, and being fascinated by, the unique curriculum. Its interdisciplinary spirit provides an invaluable skill set for STEM professionals, combining theory with a strong, practical, real-world focus. It’s truly the only program of its kind in the country, and I am thrilled to be a part of its growth and expansion. Since I’ve just arrived, I’ll be immersing myself in all things MSL in the coming weeks. I’m looking forward to sitting in on classes, event talks, and connecting with as many of you as I can!

My current favorite place on the Law School campus is the library window overlooking Lake Michigan. It’s an incredible view, and a great place to re-center and recharge between classes. Take a moment to stare out those windows and breathe; I guarantee you’ll feel better!

Prior to Northwestern MSL, I worked in Chicago’s arts and artsEd communities for 15 years. I previously managed enrollment at UIC’s School of Theatre & Music, Roosevelt University’s Chicago College of Performing Arts, and the Chicago High School for the Arts.  I am also an artist; I have two degrees in classical music, and trained as an actor and opera singer.

In my spare time, I’m active in the city’s arts scene. I run a nonprofit music company, I’m a member of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Chorus, and I perform in music and theatre shows around the city. If you’re looking for events to attend, or even arts to participate in yourself, ask me! There are so many ways to experience the arts in our great city, and I’d be delighted to give you recommendations. I also grew up a football fan in Arkansas (Go SEC! I’ll come around to the Big 10 soon), so I’ll be ready to either celebrate or lament Bears games with you on Monday mornings.

If you’re new to Chicago, here are a few great places to explore:

• As October approaches, mark your calendars for Open House Chicago by the Chicago Architecture Foundation. Our city is known for its architecture, and during OHC, some of the most beautiful spaces in Chicago open their doors to the public. FOR FREE. Go! If it’s not October, check out the awesome CAF space and events calendar.
  • One of my favorite shows in the city is Improvised Shakespeare. Based on an audience suggestion, the comedians improvise a two-act Shakespearean play, so funny you can’t catch your breath.
  • A quick #66 bus ride from campus is Centennial Craft Beer & Eatery. A River North bar that is distinctly not “River North,” they have a well-curated beer selection, a solid menu, and it’s almost never too busy to get a table.
  • Chicago’s food scene is vast and impossible to capture in this post, but I’ve got a few reliable favorites: Bijan’s, San Soo Gab San (and its new sibling San Soo), La Pasadita, and Pleasant House.

Chicago is an incredible city, and the MSL is an exceptional and exciting program. I’m elated to be a part of it, and to learn more about all of you. Please say hi if you see me in the hallways, or grabbing one of many coffees I’ll have at Harry’s throughout the day!

– Ashlee Hardgrave, MSL Admissions Manager