Staff Spotlight: Alyssa Dyar

Hi! I’m Alyssa Dyar and I’m the Learning Engineer for the MSL program, which means I’m responsible for developing the online version of the program. I work closely with the faculty to determine how best organize their content and provide engaging learning experiences for the online students. Often, this includes developing new activities and assessments, scripting and filming lecture videos, and working with the instructors to familiarize them with the online environment. My goal is to make sure that our online students have the best learning experience possible, and to provide opportunities for them to engage with each other and their professors (just as our residential students do).

Prior to joining the MSL team, I worked for the Northwestern School of Education and Social Policy at the Evanston campus. There, I helped instructors integrate technology in their teaching for both hybrid and traditional (face-to-face) courses. Before that, I worked in a similar role at the K-12 level, helping teachers improve learning with 1:1 devices in the classroom. I love seeing how technology can transform and extend the classroom and enjoy exploring new tools and strategies in this ever-changing landscape!

I’m originally from southern California, and completed my undergraduate degree at UC Santa Barbara. I moved to Chicago right after graduation and went on to complete my Masters in Educational Technology at Loyola University. I quickly fell in love with this city and its diverse, unique neighborhoods. I currently live in Uptown and spend most of my free time at the dog park with my pup, Luna, attending local concerts, or eating my way around the city with my husband. I also love to cook, travel, dance, and have recently started taking trapeze classes (which are so fun, and so challenging – highly recommend!).

In an effort to fully immerse myself in the MSL program, I try to go to as many events as possible, so you may see me in your classes, lunchtime talks, and more –please feel free to say hello! I’d love to get to know more about each of you, your experiences in the MSL program, and any Chicago restaurant recommendations you can offer.