I am a Ph.D. student in Technology and Social Behavior at Northwestern University. I study how people collectively use technology to support social causes through qualitative and quantitative investigation. My work also involves system building to further empower civic actions, such as consumer boycotts. I am in the People, Space, and Algorithms (PSA) Research Group, advised by Dr. Brent Hecht.
Prior to my doctoral study, I gained design experience in multiple industrial domains, including healthcare, education, and shipping. I earned my MS degree in Human-Computer Interaction from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis’s School of Informatics and Computing, where I was advised by Drs. Erin Brady (primary advisor), Lynn Dombrowski and Andrew Miller.
- Hanlin Li, Bodhi Alarcon, Sara Milkes Espinosa, and Brent Hecht. 2018. Out of Site: Empowering a New Approach to Online Boycotts. In Proceedings of the 2018 Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW’2018 / PACM), 2 (106). (Pre-print forthcoming)
- Hanlin Li, Disha Bora, Sagar Salvi, and Erin Brady. 2018. Slacktivists or Activists?: Identity Work in the Virtual Disability March. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’18). (Pre-Print PDF | Slides)
- Hanlin Li, Lynn Dombrowski, and Erin Brady. 2018. Working toward Empowering a Community: How Immigrant-Focused Nonprofit Organizations Use Twitter during Political Conflicts. In Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Supporting Group Work (GROUP ’18). (Pre-Print PDF)
- Hanlin Li and Erin Brady. 2017. #accessibilityFail: Exploring the Potential of Using Social Media Posts to Identify Accessibility Problems. In Proceedings of the 2017 International iConference.
- Disha Bora, Hanlin Li, Sagar Salvi, Erin Brady. 2017. ActVirtual: Making Public Activism Accessible. In Proceedings of the 19th international ACM SIGACCESS conference on Computers & accessibility.
- Hanlin Li and Erin Brady. 2016. #accessibilityFail: Categorizing Shared Photographs of Physical Accessibility Problems. In Proceedings of the 18th international ACM SIGACCESS conference on Computers & accessibility. (PDF)
- Hanlin Li and Erin Brady. 2016. Using Technology to Plan Accessible Conferences. In Proceedings of The Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing.