Epistemology Brownbag: Nevin Climenhaga

Date: Tuesday, September 25th, 2018

Time: 12:30-2:00 PM

Location: Kresge 3438

Title: (Epistemic) Probabilities are Degrees of Support, not Degrees of (Rational) Belief

Abstract:

I argue that when we use ‘probability’ language in epistemic contexts – e.g., when we ask how probable some hypothesis is, given the evidence available to us – we are talking about degrees of support, rather than degrees of belief. The probability of A given B is the (mind-independent) degree to which B supports A, not the degree to which someone with B as their evidence believes A, or the degree to which someone would or should believe A if they had B as their evidence. My central argument is that degrees of support can correctly model good reasoning in cases of old evidence where degrees of belief cannot. I consider ways to revise orthodox degree-of-belief Bayesianism in order to account for this kind of case, and argue that such revisions end up unable to account for reasoning about probabilities conditional on evidence that it is impossible not to possess.

4 thoughts on “Epistemology Brownbag: Nevin Climenhaga

• February 27, 2024 at 2:30 pm
    Permalink

Looking for the best essay service to help you achieve your academic goals? You’re in the right place! This https://writemy.com/write-my-personal-statement platform is renowned for its exceptional quality and reliability. With a team of skilled writers, they specialize in delivering top-notch essays tailored to your requirements. Whether you need assistance with research papers, dissertations, or even personal statements, they’ve got you covered. Trust them to provide meticulously crafted content that showcases your strengths and aspirations effectively. So, why stress over your assignments when you can rely on them? Don’t forget to include “write my personal statement” in your requests, and let them help you shine!

Reply
  • March 4, 2024 at 7:13 pm
    Permalink

I’ve always been looking for an easy way to download videos from YouTube, and https://getmp3.one has been a real godsend. It’s very easy to use: you paste the link to the video, and in a few seconds you can save it to your device. It’s great for saving video tutorials or concerts of your favorite bands.

Reply
  • March 8, 2024 at 3:45 am
    Permalink

Greetings to all drivers. My trip to Pefkohori from Thessaloniki Airport was smooth and enjoyable thanks to the fantastic taxi service I found. The provided vehicle was spacious and luxurious, ensuring a peaceful start to my vacation. If you’re looking for an exclusive travel experience to Pefkohori, consider https://aktis.taxi/Greece/Thessaloniki+Airport+Makedonia+SKG-%3EPefkochori. The comfort and high-class service set the tone for a truly memorable holiday.

Reply
  • April 9, 2024 at 8:52 am
    Permalink

After reading the article about opening high-risk merchant accounts in the UK on the article, I finally understood how it works. This article was extremely helpful, gave me all the information I needed and made the process clear. Now I confidently manage my high-risk business, knowing all the important aspects and smoothly accepting digital payments, and this has had a positive effect on the growth of sales

Reply