PhLing: Rachel Rudolph (Berkeley)

Title: Searching for the Perceptual Source

Date/Time: Friday, April 7, 1:30-3:30

Location: Kresge 3364

AbstractSome appearance reports specify a “perceptual source” — that is, an individual that must appear a certain way, for the report to be true. For instance, Asudeh and Toivonen (2012) hold that the copy raising sentence (1) requires that Tom himself look a certain way, while the null-subject variant (2) doesn’t require this, and could, for instance, be true in virtue of the state of the kitchen, even if Tom isn’t present.

(1) Tom looks like he’s cooking.

(2) It looks like Tom is cooking.

A number of analyses have been offered for appearance reports like these, making different predictions about when a perceptual source is specified and when not. I will claim, however, that all are unsatisfactory, and this is because they focus solely on matrix-level argument structure. By going through a variety of data, I’ll motivate the sensitivity of the perceptual source interpretation both to the fine-grained semantics of the embedded clause, as well as to the broader conversational context. This, I suggest, follows plausibly from the evidential role of appearance reports; and I’ll consider how some previous analyses might be elaborated to capture this idea.

4 thoughts on “PhLing: Rachel Rudolph (Berkeley)

• January 24, 2024 at 12:41 pm
    Permalink

Hello. The array of resources has made delving into nanoscale engineering https://fame-nano.org/ science both insightful and enjoyable. It’s like having a digital mentor guiding me through the complexities, bridging theoretical knowledge with practical applications. As a student, I value how this platform nurtures my curiosity, providing a vital space for learning and growing in the realm of nanoscale engineering.

Reply
  • February 22, 2024 at 5:17 am
    Permalink

Hi friends. I would like to share my travelling experiences. My trip to St Vincent left incredible impressions. The breathtaking views, the whispering tropical waves and the paradise island atmosphere inspired me to start my own business through Saint vincent and the grenadines company registry. Now, owning a company on this island, I remember those days full of opportunities and dreams. The inevitable postponement of the next visit is smoothed out by each wave, reminding me of the unique experience that has been built into my history.

Reply
  • February 27, 2024 at 2:25 pm
    Permalink

Looking for the best essay service to help you achieve your academic goals? You’re in the right place! This writemy.com/write-my-personal-statement platform is renowned for its exceptional quality and reliability. With a team of skilled writers, they specialize in delivering top-notch essays tailored to your requirements. Whether you need assistance with research papers, dissertations, or even personal statements, they’ve got you covered. Trust them to provide meticulously crafted content that showcases your strengths and aspirations effectively. So, why stress over your assignments when you can rely on them? Don’t forget to include “write my personal statement” in your requests, and let them help you shine!

Reply
  • March 8, 2024 at 7:09 am
    Permalink

I enjoy gаmbling and prefer to find online саsinos in Britain with minimum deposit. After all, you don’t really want to deposit a large amount of money. Good that on this https://www.casinos-notongamstop.co.uk/no-minimum-deposit/ site found a list of the best online саsinos with a minimum deposit. So I quickly chose the right online саsino for me and opened access to the best slоt mаchines. Here you can find a lot of interesting things

Reply