Workers in the Mexican Economy

13978178_10210156324374485_344981264_o

Balloons for sale in Puebla

One thing that never fails to amaze me about Mexico is how hardworking the people in this country are. There is never a day when I don’t see someone doing the unthinkable to earn a living for themselves or their family. For example, there was the man in Puebla selling balloons, and then the man on the street corner on our way to research selling flowers from a bucket. I can clearly witness these people’s desire to move forward on our Metro rides into different parts of the city. Here, we see countless amounts people selling a variety of products to passengers aboard the train. I’ve been keeping a small list of the things people sell, and these are some of the items I’ve encountered:

-Gum

-Headphones

-Nestle’s newest chocolate bar

-Human anatomy workbooks

A man selling flowers on a street corner

A man prepares to sell flowers on a street corner

-Phone cases

-A CD featuring the greatest Rock hits

-Hand wipes

-Nail clippers

-Highlighter sets

-Permanent marker sets

-A bouncy Play-Doh ball

-Portable chargers

-Plastic butterflies

-Travel size mirrors

Besides the gum, I honestly can’t picture myself or other passengers

13977987_10210156320694393_294614617_o

A man sells portable chargers to passengers on the Metro

buying any of these items. I’m sure the vendors recognize this too since, unfortunately, no one ever seems to buy their merchandise. But despite this lack of business, the salespeople show persistence and dedication. It’s clear in the way they pace up and down the aisles relentlessly pitching their product and in the way they rush to the next car so they can pitch to a new audience. This hard-working spirit is what me the most about these encounters. Even though they probably understand that people on their way to work don’t want to buy a workbook on human anatomy, these men and women still wake up every morning and make their way to the Metro station because they need to find a source of income for themselves or their family. I’ve learned throughout my time here that unfortunately, there are social and economic constraints that have forced the people of Mexico to develop this hardworking nature, but the will to do so is something admirable that I deeply respect.