Why I love packing

Carry-on

Carry-on

I’ve always liked packing because fitting everything you need into one giant bag is not only an incredible accomplishment, but it is freeing. I’ve managed to live in a closet-sized room for a year, and now I will live out of a bag comparable in weight and size to a mid-sized dog, and comfortably. I feel light, prepared, and very ready to board my plane to Israel, where I will live for the next 3 months.

My name is Alli and I’m a Junior political science and international studies major at Northwestern. I have been planning to study abroad since before I came to college, desperately hoping that at least one Middle Eastern country would be safe enough for me to travel to. It has always been up in the air, but this Spring I am very excited to be studying abroad in Israel, one of the most contested and interesting small countries in the world. While I am abroad, I am hoping to work on my Arabic and Hebrew skills, spend some much needed time at the beach, but more importantly start off  form a first hand account of the politics and society of a country I have studied for years. To me, the Middle East is the most fascinating place in the world, and I am very excited to bring myself, and my giant bag, into the region for the first time.

You will be hearing from me soon! Wish me luck.