Reflection Post

I have been giving a fairly practiced response to the ever questioned inquiry, “How was Cuba?”
It usually consists of a discussion of the pros and cons. The highs were high but there were certainly sacrifices. I’m not a screen geek, but having limited to no access to cellular data or internet for 6 weeks is a hump to overcome. I’m from the south, and used to heat, but humid upper 90s is tough day in day out.
But now that I’m back in the comfort of the states, I really do find myself missing the thrill of walking down Ave de los Presidentes, seeing the monuments, the almost comically large Cuban flag, jaywalking across the highway, and sitting on the Malécon with my new friends.It comes in bursts and in flashbulb memories. A sunset, a smile from a random pedestrian, a joke shared in class, a really good deal on a taxi, an especially cute stray, a perfect cone of gelato from Amore, hearing the same songs over and over until annoying becomes endearing, the green hills of Trinidad.
Cuba for nearly everyone is a country frozen in time. For them that time is the 60s; however, in years that come, when I recount my youth I will remember the Cuba in the summer of 2017. There was always tension. Not taking one side or the other, but the White House announced intentions to roll back Obama era policies toward Cuba, furthermore we learned how hard it can be to live in a country like Cuba and what those consequences can be. Yet the Cubans take it in stride, and usually with a sly smile and wry joke.
I’ve learned many things from my experience, and I think I can bring that mentality back home: take life one day at a time, because that’s how it will come at you.