Horses and Hills

Classes are over! We had our final cinema class and watched a family comedy called Family Video which centered on a nuclear Cuban family. The themes focused on generational differences, sexuality, authority, and reconciliation. The funny thing for me was that the stereotypical nuclear Cuban family looked a lot like the stereotypical nuclear Caribbean family; I drew many parallels between the family in the movie with my own family. In our last public health class, we discussed the money-making doctor exchange program that Cuba has instituted, wherein Cuba forms contracts with foreign countries and sends their doctors on missions. Previously, Cuba used to export doctors to Venezuela in exchange for petroleum. I’ve really enjoyed my classes here in Cuba, but the trip planned to Trinidad was something I was truly looking forward to. My family is from the rural mountains of the Dominican Republic, so any excuse to get out of the city is good for me. Trinidad was three hours away from our place in Vedado. For the most part we slept the entire way there. We stopped at this campsite that had animals like goats, chickens, and oxen. I think the amount of propaganda in Cuba increases as you leave Havana and go eastward. I took a photo of my favorite billboard featuring Uncle Sam and Cuba’s fist punching him into a brick wall. In Trinidad, we stayed on top of a hill at a place called Las Cuevas. One of the best things about places like Trinidad is that the humidity is a lot more bearable than in Vedado; the air is a cleaner. Trinidad itself is a very touristy place; I’m sure the ratio of tourist to Cuban is very high. Every street in Trinidad had hostels lined up and down; nearly every business seemed to cater to the tourist population. Which again made me think of the way tourist interactions change Cuban way of life, especially in a town where it’s such a central part of daily life.

Las Cuevas the hotel we stayed at in Trinidad

Horses we saw roaming around outside the hotel

View from the museum tower in Trinidad