Twins Turn 5

My lil bubs who really aren’t lil bubs any longer turned 5 last week.

It was a hard week for me. It was a jumble of crazy emotions. I was excited about celebrating their 5th birthday and decided to throw them a little birthday party. I didn’t want them to feel like their birthday was different because we are so far away from home. Hubs and i decided to invite 4 families who we have grown close to here. And just have a get together at our place.

We decided to keep things simple. We didn’t even do a cake at their school or get goodie bags for their classmates. I’d love to say that it was because I didn’t want to forever raise my kids’ expectations on their birthday, but it really was because I had no bandwidth. I’m midway through the quarter and my workload is just crazy. So I really had to keep things simple. Especially when I didn’t have my mom and my sis-in-law around. Mom usually cooked for their birthday parties and my sis-in-law would help me with all the planning. I was also just missing my family period. And feeling generally overwhelmed!

The menu went from mee siam to roti jala because I needed to keep things simple plus i couldn’t find tauchu anywhere. My plans to make epok-epok got scrapped because thinking about peeling and cutting potatoes made me a little crazy. And as the weekend approached, I decided to not make little shepherd pie cupcakes for the kids. We ordered pizza instead.  Grand plans to make banners and decorate the apartment in a dinosaur+pizza theme was scrapped too. All I managed to do was this little birthday wall for my kids. And I only managed to get it done because I skipped a few readings for the week. All in all, I was a pretty big disappointment. To myself.

12657241_10155205704897228_849913407972147497_o

Seriously, everything went well. There was enough food. And hubs got the cake and pizzas sorted. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and the kids had fun. Of course, Irfan ended up crying after everyone sang him Happy Birthday, but I guess it wouldn’t be complete if there was not a bit of drama. 

And courtesy of Fern and Stanley, we even managed to enjoy a yusheng and celebrate Lunar New Year. It was a birthday party cum reunion dinner (with roti jala instead of steamboat!)

To my darling boys, Ihsan and Irfan, Happy 5th birthday sweeties. I want you to know that Mama loves you more than life itself!