Our road-trip down south…

This is a very very belated post. But better later than never….riiiiittteee? …. *grinz* Only feeling like blogging about it now BECAUSE blogging and finding my voice is an assignment for #msloc430 Creating and Sharing Knowledge.

Very very good excuse now, to be spending time blogging instead of going through my readings and assignments! Argh! I’ve totally forgot I have readings to complete for this week. *fail*

Anyhow…back to the road-trip.

We planned the road-trip because Ihsan has talked about seeing the whale-shark at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta since forever. And I remember promising him once that I would bring him if we moved to the US. So this was about me making good my promise. We decided not to fly to Atlanta for the following reasons:

• We own a car! Yes, we the Singaporeans who cannot afford a car in Singapore can actually afford a really good car here. So, since we will return to Singapore in 2017 and unlikely to own a car in Singapore, we thought we should drive to Atlanta.
  • I like the flexibility of road-trips. No airport immigration queues to deal with, airport delays, etc. Road trips mean we can take our time
  • I’ve always wanted to do a road-trip across the US. You know, to drive from east coast to west coast stopping at random sites like the biggest ball of yarn. Can’t do exactly that with the boys, but the driving across the US came close to my dream.

So, I have a whole lot of pics that I posted that makes us look like we had a fabulous time. I think the kids had a fabulous time. I’m not sure if hubs had a fabulous time, but I was actually quite bored (except when we were at the aquarium)  most of the whole trip and missing Evanston the whole time. Still can’t pinpoint the reasons why i felt soooo disengaged.

It could have been:

• This whole moving to the US, living in Evanston, sightseeing and getting familiar with Chicago etc has been such a grand adventure that the road-trip really wasn’t that much more exciting. It didn’t live up to the expectations that i had built up in my mind.
  • Most holidays we’ve been on with our kids have been beach holidays when we do nothing but swim and sunbathe. City adventures just aren’t fun with 2 boys who get bored and tired easily. We did very little because they neeeded to nap, etc. And EVERYTHING we do, is what the KIDS want to do. Hence, the aquarium (which I did like) and the Indianapolis Chidren museum.
  • Halal food is quite difficult to find in most places down south, and if we do find halal places, it’s usually a kebab, middle-eastern place. I was missing home-cooked food. It wasn’t as bad when we stayed in air bnb apartments and I had access to the kitchen, but it wasn’t quite the same because I didn’t have access to all the ingredients I wanted.

OR BECAUSE IT WAS A 12-day ROADTRIP WITH TWO 4 YEAR OLDS!!!! ….Maybe…

But, in all honesty, it wasn’t all bad. We did have some fun.

My top highlights were:

1. Atlanta’s Georgia Aquarium

This aquarium was definitely worth the trip. It has an amazing collection of fish. Of course there’s the most beautiful whale-sharks, but also many other sea creatures such as the beluga whales and bottle-nosed dolphins.

Parents, this aquarium is also very kid-centric with several features in the exhibits that are meant to engage your lil kiddos and teach them about sea-creatures in a very interactive and tactile way. The kids loved this zone and Irfan insisted that it was our first stop when we went back to the aquarium for a second time.

The boys are playing an online game. They take on the role of the animal trainers and are preparing the animal’s feed. They learn that they can’t feed too much or too little, or the animals will fall sick.

2. Chatanooga, Tenessee’s Rock City

We had an amazing time with the boys here. You explore this rocky terrain that leads you to the lookout where the views of 7 states are magnificient! We just hung out up there enjoying the view, soaking up the sun and hanging out.

IMG_1759 IMG_1751

One of the highlights of rock-city was mothergoose village in fairyland caverns. Beautiful scenes from mothergoose tales on display deep in the dark cavern. It was slightly spooky and magical at the same time!

3. Nashville

I just loved the vibe in Nashville. Just walking past the bars on Broadway got me going. I can’t imagine it, if I was traveling without the boys and hanging out in them bars! I also enjoyed hanging out at the coffee joint we discovered and I think, if we had more time, we could have explored several more local indie joints. There’s a jalapeno pineapple popsicle I’d really want to get back to try!

4. This random stop on the road at Decherd, TN.

We stopped for a lunch. It was cold, in the mountains between Chatanooga and Nashville, and it was just amazing!

Anyways, I think that’s it. I’ve scratched the itch and don’t see any reason why we should do another long road-trip. 3 hours max in a car, that’s as far as we go. We fly next time. =)