Spending the Fall in Investment Banking

Name: Charlie Hummel

Year: Sophomore

Major: Economics

CFS Class: Field Studies in the Humanities

Employer: Piper Jaffray

This fall I’ve had the opportunity to work in investment banking at Piper Jaffray in the debt capital markets division. Our team of six in the Chicago office helps businesses raise debt by connecting them with lenders.

While I’ve been here there have been live deals both occurring and launching. One of the most interesting and consistent experiences of the internship has been getting to listen in on calls to lenders and our clients, which happen daily. I’ve learned a lot about debt structures and how the investment process and analysis differ when investing in debt versus equity. Other responsibilities I’ve had include helping to update company operational and leverage models, as well as contributing to presentations for clients and lenders. In addition, since there is also a restructuring division in the office I have gotten to work on some smaller projects with them, specifically on helping to identify targets we may be interested in pitching to.

I’ve really enjoyed my internship so far and am looking forward to seeing what the next few weeks have in store.